Saturday, June 13, 2015

i'll be honest

So I'm lying here, having many thoughts while on this drug-laced cough syrup. wink emoticon ... I keep thinking about yesterday at the library when a little girl came up to Emma and asked her if she wanted to play with her. Emma thought about it, didn't answer immediately. Sometimes kids will just walk away or roll their eyes when Emma doesn't answer. But this girl waited. Patiently. Emma said, "Yes. I would. ... My name is Emma." The girl told her her name. Emma said, "and I have autism." She was proud when declaring that. I chuckled a little to myself. I had tears in my eyes as they went off to play dress up in the theatre corner. They played for quite a while. I'll be honest, it was a relief to see that this other girl did not see my Emma as 'weird.' It happens a lot. And it shouldn't matter, yeah, what others think. But as a mother, I want my children to be liked and have friends. It's just how it is. I am thankful for other parents who have raised their children to be kind.

No comments:

Post a Comment