Sunday, January 17, 2016

well, hmmm, seems like you're a bully too

My two cents:

Those bullying meme I see reposted about every two days on Facebook. You know the ones-- they read something like, 'Kids these days are wusses. They need to be taught how to stick up for themselves. All this bully awareness crap and ribbons and campaigns... we are raising a generation of weak kids... Yada Yada Yada...,' you know -- THOSE.

Well, that is a broad idea, a generalized way of thinking, I have to say. What about my daughter, who sometimes can't verbalize what happens to her at school? What about my friend's daughter who is NEVER able to verbalize her school days to her mom? My other friend's son who believes with all his beautiful heart that life is just like the cartoons he loves to watch everyday? What about my son, who I have not raised to be a fighter because we don't advocate violence in our house?

When I read those memes, I am reading yet another form of bullying. Those people are calling my disabled child and my son 'sissies, ' in so many words. My disabled child who believes the world is her red carpet and glitter rains for her every where she goes. My kind-hearted little boy who says Hello to the butterflies on our walks and cries at sad scenes in movies.

So, thank you very much, I'll stand with those who aim to squash bullying. In fact, I and my fierce momma friends will lead the way.

#bullying #disability #autism #momlife #parent

No comments:

Post a Comment